EXPLORATORY ESSAY

Welcome to my exploratory writing. This piece is based of the incredible piece of architecture named the makerspace.

Eberge Dumay 

Professor Brenner

Engl 110

October 20, 2022

Exploratory essay 

The City College of New York (CCNY) is one of the top colleges in NYC. Although CCNY is known for many things, it is exceptionally well known for its engineering school. The Grove School of Engineering (GSoE) is found on CCNY’s campus and has many artifacts and spaces that are interesting. For me, the most interesting space I’ve found so far is the Makerspace. I found the makerspace intriguing not only because it is just outright cool, but holds many pieces of equipment that a future engineer like me will use. The makerspace as a whole is an amazing space for current and future engineers to work and be inspired.

The Makerspace, located on the cellar floor of The Grove School of Engineering, was designed in 2016 after the school received a $5.2 million grant from the U.S Dept. of Education. The Grant was given to the school to be used to increase the number of students that could receive STEM degrees. With grants, the school created many programs for STEM majors and also created the 3000sq.ft space that is known as the makerspace. 

Students at CCNY use the makerspace for many reasons. some uses for the makerspace are to study, learn, relax, or work. the space is filled with equipment such as 3D printers, laser engravers, soldering stations, and more, which allows students to work on any project they can imagine.  I’ve had the pleasure of spending time in the makerspace and it is a nice environment to work and study. The tools provided to students are top-tier in comparison to the other colleges in the area. 

The equipment provided to students allows students to express their skills and creativity. Although the makerspace was intended for STEM majors, any student of CCNY can come in and work on something. some of the machines and equipment available to students are 3D printers, laser engravers, soldering stations, laser cutters, and more. 

Each of the pieces of equipment in the makerspace has different purposes. 3D printers are used to create 3D printings of students’ creations. there are regular 3D printers and also metal 3D printers. To bring a 3d drawing to life, 3D printers print by layering materials on top of each other to create the 3D structure. There is a wide array of materials you can use to create your 3D object. Although most 3D printers use plastics, there are some that use metals or ceramics to print. Laser cutters and engravers are used to engrave or cut into different materials. laser cutters and engravers use powerful lasers to engrave and cut different materials like wood, plastic, metal, and more. There are also vinyl cutters. vinyl cutters use a very sharp blade to cut over vinyl surfaces to create exquisite shapes and patterns. the makerspace also has soldering stations where students can solder or desolder electronics. there are also sewing machines used to sew fabrics together and created elaborate designs and patterns on fabrics. 

To summarize, the makerspace is a space available to all CCNY students. It is a space where students can come to relax, focus, and work on any projects they may have. The space I filled with instruments and equipment to assist students in turning creativity into something that is real. the makerspace is a great addition to The Grove School of Engineering, and I hope it stays there forever.