FINAL SELF-ASSESSMENT

Eberge Dumay 

Professor Brener 

English Comp 

12 December 2022

Final Self-Reflection

Starting my college career I thought the days of having a fun class were over. I believed that every class from now on would be boring and work-heavy. That wasn’t the case with English composition. English comp was not only the class I had the most fun in during the semester but it was also my favorite class. Now there are many reasons why it was a fun class and why I enjoyed it, but one of the main reasons was the teacher. But I am not here to talk about how the class was fun or what made it fun, I am here to write about the progress oi have made in the class since the first day I stepped my feet through the doors. 

One of the things that I did in class that I didn’t think I would enjoy much was writing. I have never enjoyed writing a lot, but I had a great time writing the pieces that I wrote for class. My favorite piece of writing was the exploratory essay. I enjoyed it because of the amount of work that went into it. It wasn’t just a piece where I was given a prompt and I just write whatever. I had to research what I wanted to write about. The research factor made the essay a lot more fun. I was able to write about something that I enjoyed while also learning about that thing at the same time. 

While the course was fun for the most part, that does not mean I didn’t encounter any challenges along the way. One of the hardest challenges that I faced was, researching. Although I enjoyed the research once everything was said and done, finding information on my piece wasn’t the easiest thing. I often got frustrated when I couldn’t find the information I was looking for. Although it was challenging at times I was able to overcome those challenges through perseverance. I persevered until o found the information I need and I was able to write a final product that I was satisfied with. Due to the challenges I had with the research, I was able to learn a lot about research in general. One thing I learned was that it is very easy to miss information sometimes, especially when you’re looking at multiple pages at once. It thought me that attention to detail matters a lot when it comes to research. 

Throughout my time in the class, I have come to learn a lot about myself. I have come to learn that I enjoy writing to a certain degree. I always hated the idea of writing especially when given a prompt, but I have come to enjoy writing, in general, all because of this class. 

Overall, I have learned a lot about myself in this class through the writing assignments that we received. I was also able to improve my writing and research skills. Thanks to this class, I am no longer discouraged when I receive writing assignments.